Thursday, September 22, 2011

To blog or not to blog...

I realize I went MIA for the last few months...there is a reason. I should have blogged through the situation but instead retreated which is my typical method of operation. So here we go...here's the story.

At the beginning of August, Grace (my oldest) came to us and told us that she had a lump on her side. I felt it and it felt odd but I have had friends that have had cysts and so forth before. I knew her immediate thoughts had to shoot to Cancer and such. We did our best to dispel any negative thoughts. We started our trek to figure out just what this thing was.
The first trip was to her regular pediatrician. Her doctor had her lie down and the first diagnosis we got was that it was on her liver. Anything on the liver is bad! She gave us the name of a surgeon and said we needed to get in as soon as we could.
We went to the surgeon and he didn't think it was on her liver and thought it was just an extra floating rib. We had an ultrasound where they couldn't tell what it was, numerous X-rays and a CT scan. Never on the same visit mind you...
So what was the final verdict? Well, the reason they couldn't figure it out was because it is truly bizarre. She has a floating rib piece that is round. The surgeon said that they only find this kind of thing on someone who has had their chest cracked for open heart surgery. This all happened over a period of almost 4 or 5 weeks. Each time we had a test, we had to wait another 3-5 days. I cannot tell you how difficult it was to hear my 16 year old say she was okay with having Cancer because she could be a good witness to other people.

I was so incredibly grateful that she was okay. I didn't want a bunch of people knowing because I didn't want anyone treating her differently. For those of you who know me, I wear my heart on my sleeve. Blogging would have been very very difficult for me to not be honest about what was going on.

There have been so many blessings and fun stories along the way that I wanted to share...
truth is - I should have gone ahead and shared because it was God's journey - not mine. He brought us all through and showed us signs of peace at every corner. It was an opportunity and I missed it in order to protect her.

Thank you to those of you who have asked where I have been...I am back...and grateful for all the blessings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment