Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stories from Starbucks...

Ok - I think I just need to write a book about things I learn and observe at Starbucks because it is quite entertaining.  Yesterday, I was at Starbucks.  The Starbucks where I went is in an affluent neighborhood.  The houses and yards are perfect, the stores all nice, and the people....Whenever I go to this particular Starbucks, there are at least 3 ladies (yes, the same ones) that come in either their tennis outfits or workout clothes.  To be honest, I am not sure they even truly worked out prior to coming.  They are so put together that I am not sure sweat is allowed.  While I wait patiently for my fat laden drink, I await their order of something healthy.  Then they order something with far more calories than mine.  They all go outside and sit together doing hand gestures I really thought only existed in movies of snobs.  It really is a show and quite comical for the onlooker.

I started thinking about looking all put together and how we do such a great job making others think we truly do have it all together.  The foreclosure rate in those affluent neighborhoods is higher than in the low income areas.  They are mortgaged and credit maxed up to their eyeballs all to look good.

I have recently heard a few friends talk about how Christians do that as well - have the right verses or things to say in any situation - but then aren't actually following anything that they say.  We are all a bunch of hypocrites - and I really can't argue with that.  We tell people we will pray for them because it is a nice thing to say instead of saying, "Can I pray with you right now?"  We talk nicely with one another but rip each other apart behind the back.  I have recently realized who are my real friends in the midst of crisis.  It always floors me how we can be there for others but when the chips are down - they walk away.

Why are we faking?  Like God doesn't know who we really are??!!  We are the wolves in sheeps clothing - lurking in the pasture if we don't show who we really are.  I will tell you - I am as screwed up as it gets but I am saved by grace.  If left to my own devices - I will mess up every time.  I am grateful that God meets me where I am at anyway and still loves me despite the reality of who I am. 
The sad thing is, I am just like those women at Starbucks - maybe not as pronounced - but I definitely don't always show who I really am.  Probably out of fear - we all hide.  We laugh on the outside when we are really crying on the inside.  I am not saying we should bare our souls to every person we meet - but maybe dare to be real with the people that you feel closest.

Why are you holding back?  What do you need to open up to God to maybe change?

Philippians 1:21

18-21So how am I to respond? I've decided that I really don't care about their motives, whether mixed, bad, or indifferent. Every time one of them opens his mouth, Christ is proclaimed, so I just cheer them on!
And I'm going to keep that celebration going because I know how it's going to turn out. Through your faithful prayers and the generous response of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, everything he wants to do in and through me will be done. I can hardly wait to continue on my course. I don't expect to be embarrassed in the least. On the contrary, everything happening to me in this jail only serves to make Christ more accurately known, regardless of whether I live or die. They didn't shut me up; they gave me a pulpit! Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment