Sunday, August 14, 2011

Time...

The last two weeks, my mom has come to stay with us. She came to watch my children while I was in Mexico but then was also here additional days to spend with me. She lives in Colorado and I am lucky to see her once maybe twice a year. She and I are very close so that distance makes it very difficult for me.

There is nothing like curling up in your mom and dad's lap and crying or feeling loved. While I am a little too big to do that now, when I am with them, it still feels like that somewhat. I try to hold onto each precious day I have with each of them because it is so brief. I wish my kids were closer to them because they absolutely adore one another. I grew up far away from my grandparents and to this day, it still hurts that I didn't see them very much.
Time is so limited in ways we really cannot understand.

I was in tears this morning as I realized not only how much I value my time with my mom but how I should value that time every day with God. I think we consider either quiet time or time to think as an add-on to the day or sometimes even a chore. I was saddened when I realized I don't always view that quiet time as a precious and valuable time. Convicting!

2 Corinthians 13:5-9 The Message

 5-9Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it. I hope the test won't show that we have failed. But if it comes to that, we'd rather the test showed our failure than yours. We're rooting for the truth to win out in you. We couldn't possibly do otherwise.


This isn't to say we aren't in the faith but rather that we are not fully engaged all the time. That isn't how I want to lead my life - just sometimes how I allow my life to be led.

Where are you taking time for granted?

No comments:

Post a Comment